Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Happy for you, Bahadur

Now y'all may be wondering who Bahadur is...

My uncle's neighbours have a really BIG house. Except for a small servant's quarter, the ground floor is all for car parking - and they have 4 of them. In that servant quarter lives a genial Nepali by name Bahadur. He is the house watchman. Heck, he is the watchman for all surrounding houses too. See, my uncle is lucky, he gets free service ;-) - well, not that free. When the neighbours are not in station, my aunt serves Bahadur's bfst, food, coffee ....

Bahadur is a genial chap, in his late 40s early 50s (haven't asked, my guess). As soon as I stop the car in front of my uncle's place, he is promptly at the gate saying "Shalam Shaab" in his inimitable style.

Since Feb this year, Bahadur was a very happy man. After all, he was leaving on April 11 to visit his family in Nepal after a gap of 4 years! He'd make it a point to remind everyone how many days were left before he started home. Of course, his employer paid for the trip (by train).

But, when I met my uncle last Sunday, I got to know that Bahadur had indeed left for Nepal, only to be stopped at the border for the last 8-9 days, 'cos of the unrest in his country. I felt really sorry for him - wait four years to see your family and get only as far as the border :(

Luckily for him, the King of Nepal regained senses just in time. I hope Bahadur is now happily reunited with his family. I also wish his employer extends his leave for the duration of the wait at the border.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home