Thursday, June 29, 2006

Whats a good newspaper

Sripathi writes about the consolidation in the local newspaper industry. Here are my two cents....

Disclaimer: Depending on who you ask, the following suggestion can differ. As the heading of this blog states, these are my views.

Firstly, I consider TOI a tabloid, not a newspaper. Second, DH is a good local newspaper, but not good enough. The Hindu is something I don't recommend, for, at the time I was reading it regularly, it seemed to be overtly focussed on a neighbouring state.

Anyone who has known my preferences in this matter, will know that my choice would be The New Indian Express. It has been the pioneer in investigative journalism, unearthing most of the controversial stories from the Harshad Mehta scam to the Office of Profit controversy. Its editorials are excellent too. I'd choose TNIE any day and twice on Sunday.... by far, it has the best Sunday newspaper compilation of all competition.

The one grouse I have with TNIE is that once in a while, good cultural info (such as an ad about a Jagjit Singh concert) won't appear in this newspaper... the organizers prefer to advertise in the more "hep" newspapers.

I'd suggest Sripathi, give TNIE a try for a couple of weeks before settling on DH, if you still want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home