Monday, September 10, 2007

Specs and Speculations

Sometimes, its good to sit back and wonder at all the absurd conceptions you've had over time. When young, I always had this feeling that it is dangerous to allow people who wear spectacles for vision correction, to drive. My reasoning at the time was, "What is the guarantee that the specs makes the person see as well as we do".

After class 12, I found out that I had trouble reading boards, etc., from a distance. Further checks confirmed that I was not just myopic, but had myopic astigmatism. What it means is that a cylindrical lens is needed in addition to the (default) spherical lens, with their axes aligned at a particular angle (may be different for each eye), for me to see 20/20 (or 6/6 as they measure in India). Thankfully, regular usage of prescription glasses has ensured that my "power" in each eye, has increased all of -0.5, in over a decade.

My current workday involves about 33kms of driving. And, I no longer have a grouse on drivers with eye glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home