Monday, October 17, 2005

Thought Lags and Amnesia

Here is a (late) realization - I suffer from a mild case of amnesia.

Most of the thoughts about what I want to write about, crystallize about 5 minutes after I switch off the light, close my eyes in anticipation of a good night's sleep. I think of the topic, make mental notes and decide to put it down the next day.

However, there are a few problems:
  • In most cases, I don't remember the said topic the next day
  • I don't seem to find the time (yes, its a lame excuse) to write the thoughts down
I can think of a few other problems too:
  • My thought process is too haphazard. I switch topics too frequently - even in the head. I am sure my friends may have noticed this during our conversations
  • Somehow, pages from my brain's RAM doesn't get sync'ed with the persistant storage. I blame it on:
    • "limited capacity" of the persistant storage
    • the other well known fact - I am dumb
Here is where my Palm Treo comes into play. I started making notes on the Treo just as the thoughts occur. That, is how technology works for me :)

How successful will this be? Only time will tell.

PS: I want to make this blog more interactive. Expect posts in the future which'll request your opinions on various topics. But hey, why not start off with this post itself? Am I the only person suffering from the kind of amnesia described above? Do write back...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sripathi Kodi said...

Annie, reading through your long-winding blog, wondering where you are taking us, I got a smile on my face when I reached the stuff about Palm Treo. Oh man, the lengths people go to, to _subtly_ and _indirectly_ announce recent acquisition of a cool gadget ;-)

That apart, no, I don't think I have the amnesia that you are talking about, at least not with respect to blog topics. But I have an extremely limited very volatile memory in my brain to store numbers. At any point of time I can only remember 3-4 phone numbers. I don't remember the bug numbers I am working on, I tend to forget ATM pins, etc. I am alright with words. Isn't that strange?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Ananth Narayan said...

Well Sripathi, the whole point of *this* entry was to reinforce that I am dumb and a cool gadget is helping me out. The by-product of the publicizing doesn't hurt too ;-)

That apart, I now have a list of things to write about. Expect more opinionated posts in the future.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Hariprasad N said...

I once forgot my ATM pin in a brain-fit attack. The account got locked and I called up the service center to unlock the number. They said that a new number had to be generated and it took two days. Finally when it did arrive, it was the same old PIN number ;-))

1:57 PM  
Blogger Girish Basavalingaiah said...

Forgetfullness is a curse. I have to face lot of comments from my Wife daily because i forget. I had forgotten my IBM badge inside a computer that was on the top shelf in OS/2 lab. It took me a week before i could trace it there. But so far i have not lost a thing. The reason is if i focus i can recall the events and i remeber where i would have misplaces the stuff. Most of the time it happens because it has not registered in my mind. If its get registered in my mind i can alsways remember. I am always in my own world and that is why things don't get registered. I am not yet so busy where i have to depend on technology. If i am introduced t a very beautiful girl i don't think i will forget her name. So its all about foucssing on the right stuff at the right time.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home